Stepping Stones is a Luton based charity dedicated to supporting women to transform the stumbling blocks of their lives into stepping stones; creating happier, healthier lives for women, their children and families.
We provide a safe, welcoming, non-judgemental environment for women living in Luton and Central Bedfordshire, who have suffered abuse, who are vulnerable due to substance misuse, offending, mental health conditions and/or are involved with Local Authority Children’s Social Care.
Geographical area service covers
Luton & Central Bedfordshire
Who is the service for?
Referral routes into service (professionals, self)
Self referral and via a professional you can make a referral through our website www.steppingstonesluton.co.uk/support-forms
Risk level you support
Other relevant information
We understand that a woman’s experience does not impact on just one area of her life and we adopt a holistic approach offering emotional support and practical advocacy. We support women to re-build their self-esteem, understand more about the trauma they have suffered, the impact this can have on them and their children and how to identify abusive relationships in the future. We teach women skills to identify and manage their emotions and help them to implement strategies to reduce the risk of harm through services which include:
- 1:1 support with a key worker both in a crisis and ongoing
- Advocacy with professionals and in court, particularly with police and social services
- Weekly group work courses including positive parenting, Freedom from abuse programmes, Beyond Trauma, Strengthening Families and Mellow which also promote peer support
- Counselling providing 12 sessions delivered by supervised trainee counsellors
- Free Ofsted childcare providing individual sessions, stay and play as well as providing a nourishing hot meal for the children.
- Access to donated clothing and a food share scheme in partnership with Tesco
- Legal advice clinic with a volunteer solicitor
- Referrals to specialist services including substance addiction treatment
- Informal monthly coffee, cake and chat drop-in sessions
- Education, training and employment support
- Supported access to the internet for CV writing, job search, property search, benefits forms etc
Referrals routes – self referral and professionals. You can make a referral through our website